I am a 5th-generation Texan (Texas A&M, class of ’89) and have lived and traveled across North America and Europe (including having lived and written in France five years). My work has been published by Texas A&M University Press, University of Texas Press and the Houston Chronicle. I currently split my time between the Washington, DC area and New Orleans, LA.
I am currently working on a collection of short stories largely set in New Orleans and collaborating on a mystery set in Houston in the late 1970s.
My work is largely inspired by the culture and beauty of the American Southwest, France, Spain, Mexico and New Orleans.
When in the DC area, I also enjoy exploring the beauty and history of the Chesapeake Watershed, including its rich American Indian heritage and its incredible seafood.
In addition to the areas listed above, inspirations include the work of–
- Frank Lloyd Wright (architect),
- Edward Hopper (20th Century American painter),
- Albert Camus (French author, master at describing the human condition),
- Juan Gris (Spanish cubist),
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (French author, war and aviation),
- Sigurd F. Olson (nature writer), and
- John D. MacDonald (about the best damn mystery writer ever!).
I am a student of World War I, the Spanish Civil War, the American West, African-American and Latino history, as well as the general history of the US, France and Mexico.
I am drawn to the aesthetic of the American 1920s (think Art Deco, streamlined styles, flappers) and 1960s (think Sinatra, Mad Men series and martinis) as well as the political era and music of the 1970s (think Rolling Stones and when Americans liked each other at least some, weren’t so tribalized and protecting the environment was bipartisan).
In addition to writing and painting, I enjoy–(fortunately, sometimes I can multi-task these.)
- hanging out with my family,
- exploring (on foot, bike or by train preferably),
- golf (frustrating as it might be),
- boche ball (or petanque),
- all things railroads (for some odd reason),
- hanging out on a beach,
- listening to music, and
- grilling outside while sharing a cold one or a glass of wine with friends.
And painful as it might be at times, I am a fan of both the Chicago White Sox and the Baltimore Orioles. I love Texas Aggies Football and just about all football.